Thursday, August 15, 2013

Nail it: Minion Nails!?!?

Hi everyone,

Check out my newest nail design. I can guarantee that you will love it.... well, unless you are evil and very cold-hearted... like an evil minion =D



I think that you can already tell what this post is going to be about: yes, MINIONS. Ever since I saw the first "Despicable Me" movie, I fell in love with the minions. These little servants stole my heart and I am literally obsessed with them. I can't wait to see "Despicable Me 2" and that's why I decided to do a design on my nails, inspired by Gru's army of little yellow creatures. I also took A LOT of pictures so I will be able to show you the whole process.

I. Products: Here are the nail polishes I used:

1. Catherine Arley Silky Touch Nail Lacquer in the shade 704 (a bright "minion" yellow);
2. Miss Selene Nail Lacquer in the shade 204;
3.Brooklin Nail Polish in the shade 3;
4.Mina Nail Art Striping Brush in Bottle in the shade 57;
5.Rapsody Pacific Nail Lacquer shade: unknown (see why);
6.Clear Top Coat by Impala
7.Golden Rose Paris Nail Lacquer in the shade 84
8. Evri Nail Striper in the shade 119

II. Steps
- The Base:
!0. Apply a protective base coat. Since we're using yellow, you definitely don't want to skip this step.
1. Start by painting your nails two thin coats of a yellow polish. You can choose to paint as many of them as you like, but I decided to do 3 on my left hand and 2 on my right. Wait for the nail polish to dry and then you have the base for your minions.
2. Take your dark or medium blue nail polish and paint a tip on your yellow nails. If you have smaller or shorter nails, you should probably make a smaller tip, so that you can have more space to draw the face of your minion.

- Creating The Minions:

1. While the tips are drying, take a black striper and draw two thin lines on either sides of your nail (at about the middle); these will be the elastic of the glasses. If this is too hard, you can just draw a line from one side to the other and then draw the eyes on top of it.
2. Now take a dotting tool and if you don't have one you can just use the brush of your regular grey nail polish. What you want to do is make two dots next to each other which will be the eyes of your minion. If you want to make a minion with one eye, that's always an option. Check out the other pictures to see all the different minions I created.
3. When the grey nail polish is almost dried you  and to take a dotting tool or if you don't have one- a toothpick or something slightly larger. If you can use the brush of your white nail polish. You want to make smaller while dots in the grey ones. However, don't make them too small, just slightly less in diameter.
4. When they are almost dried, again with a small dotting tool, or a toothpick, or your black striper, make two very small dots in the white ones you already drew. Here you should be careful how you place them, because your minion might end up with a goofy expression. But it won't be such a disaster... after all they are MINIONS.Take your black striper and draw a smile on your minion and some hair if you want.
5. You can add some details on the blue tip: I decided to do a pocket and it is very simple. I started by taking a light blue nail polish and I mage the shape in picture №4. Then with my dark blue one I made a small square in the light blue one.
6.Add two white buttons with a toothpick and finish with a generous amount of top coat and you are done.

-For The Other Nails: You can do all sorts of desings on your other nails. I decided to keep it simple and cute, because I wanted to bring all the attention to my MINIONS.

1.Paint a tip on your nails with a sparkly, glittery nail polish.
2.Take your yellow and dark blue nail polish and do alternating dots in the inner part of your tips.
3.Apply a top coat to seal your design.

Optional: As you may have noticed some of my minions have more details than the others. I decided to do different ones, because Gru has different kinds of minions in the movie. I am going to show you some cute and easy to do details and also a few tricks which will make your minions more realistic and also more diverse:
- Make some minions with one eye and some with two.
- Add hair on some of your minions. It can be spiky or going sideways- it's your choice.
- You can make some cute details on your minions' clothes: anything from polka dots, stripes and flowers works. I personally decided to do a pocket:
- You can make your minions with different facial expressions. The easiest one is the smile but you can also make them surprised by adding a black dot for the mouth. I added a tongue on one of them as well. You can make them even happier by adding teeth, too.

I hope you liked this post and you have a lot of fun recreating this look. Please share your recreations with me on twitter #2ferocious . If you like this,  check out my CraZy StripeZ design as well.

Tell me: what's the craziest nail design you have ever done on your nails or seen someone else wear?

xoxo,
        HriS

E-mail: teenbeautyzone.@abv.bg
Twitter: Hrisi V @2ferocious

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it. There will be many more =]

      Delete
  2. So cute! And such a useful tutorial! Maybe check out my blog at some time if you want at http://anotherbritishgirl.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the sweet comment. I love your blog!

      Delete
  3. OMG! This is sooo cute...wud luv to try it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you end up trying it out, send me a picture. I would love to see your recreation. Also, you can follow me on Twitter for all the latest news.

      Delete
  4. This is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE!!!!!!!!!!! :) Love it! Do more posts like these!

    http://www.thestarlight92.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely will. Many people have very positive attitudes about it, so that is very encouraging. Thank you so much! Your blog is sooo cool!!

      Delete
  5. soo cute love it!

    www.mybeautysleuth.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you- I'm glad so many people liked this post. I'm working on a new one right now and it will be posted here soon.

      Delete